Some whole house filtration systems take the approach that “bigger is better.” Others tend to try a value-based service, keeping costs down by offering specific features for exact problems. If you need a little of both for your home, then the Home Master Whole House 2-Stage Water Filter is a great option to consider.
This system offers homeowners a 4-gradient density sediment filter, which produces a finer level of filtration than what many other manufacturers can provide at this pricing level. Filtration up to 1 micron is achievable, with a greater dirt holding capacity as well.
Features of the Home Master 2-Stage Filter
- This system features a standard 1-inch port so that the best levels of water pressure can always be achieved.
- It has the capacity to handle 10 gallons per minute without reducing the overall quality of filtration.
- The lifetime rate of filtration for this system is 95,000 gallons before a filter replacement becomes necessary. It’s a definite upgrade from charcoal filters that other entry-level products tend to use.
- This system has been rated to remove up to 95% of contaminants for water purification, including heavy metals, chlorine, and chloramines.
- The system is backed by Home Master’s standard 2-year limited warranty.
Like many whole-home filtration systems, Home Master has equipped this product with oversized filters so that ongoing maintenance needs are reduced. It installs on 16-inch studs. You’ll also receive steel mounting brackets with the bolts, a housing wrench, and the instructions needed for installation if you’re planning a DIY project.
Our Observations of the Home Master 2-Stage Filter
We felt that this is a good general-purpose filtration system. Not only can it handle the municipal contaminants that are used for disinfection, but it can also handle well water sediments and off-grid contaminants. You may need to view a water report before confirming this system can meet your needs, but it does an excellent job for most hardness minerals, iron, and sediments.
It treats manganese, iron, and sulfur up to 1 part per million.
The filter media uses coconut for its carbon, like many other models in this pricing category, allowing for its overall longer life. Changing out a filter is quite easy, requiring a strap wrench. This allows homeowners to have a better quality of water for drinking, showering, and other household activities.
If you have undissolved particles in your water, we found that this Home Master System does a good job of removing them. We did notice that water which is heavily contaminated may still have taste, odor, or particulate issues after filtration.
Our Grade: 8.5/10
This is a good value-based purchase. The Home Master Whole House 2-Stage Water Filtercan handle light-to-moderate contaminant issues effectively and over an extended period. It struggles to keep up with heavy contamination rates, but it wasn’t really designed to help homeowners with that issue. We found the system to be easy to install, easier to maintain, and worth the investment.