The benefits of a whole house filtration system are wide-ranging, from lower odor levels to cleaner water to drink. For many homeowners, the issue becomes one of space as many systems are large and bulky. That’s not the case with the Home Master HMF2SDGC Whole House 2-Stage Filter System. This system can produce sediment filtration that is comparable to 3-stage or large tank systems with a minimal installation area required.
This system easily mounts to 16-inch studs. The unit itself measures just 28 inches in height, 18 inches in width, and requires 9 inches of depth. It will plumb into virtually any standard household system with relative ease.
Features of the Home Master HMF2SDGC
- It offers 5 layers of filtration, despite being a two-stage filter system. This means the water is filtered at 25 microns first, then 10 microns, then 5, and then finally a 1-micron filtration for the greatest level of purity.
- Chlorine and other chemicals, as well as taste and odor, are then improved by running the filtered water through a coconut shell carbon filter.
- The rated capacity of the carbon filter on this model is 95,000 gallons. As for the other filter, the lifetime level is based on the amount of contamination that is in the water supply.
- Total removal of up to 95% of contaminants is possible with this system and it is backed by a 2-year limited warranty.
- A 1-inch inlet/outlet set of ports is included with this design.
This specific 2-stage filter system is designed more for systems that are connected to a municipal water supply that uses chlorine as a disinfectant. This Home Master system is not rated for chloramine removal. For those with well water, a pre-filter may also be necessary to take full advantage of what this system can provide.
Our Observations of the Home Master HMF2SDGC
The strongest water pressure possible with this 2-stage system is 20 gallons per minute. Filtration at this peak level is light-to-moderate, however, and may reduce the improvements that are seen at lower usage levels.
This product does not treat manganese, iron, or sulfur that may be in the water. It is primarily designed as a sediment reducer and chlorine eliminator.
It can work with additional water purification products for the home. Just connect it behind your water softener or your UV sanitizer to have improved results with a full system. The system accepts 4.5×20-inch filters, but 2.5-inch filters will also work with this equipment if you’re in a pinch.
The port threads are plastic on this model instead of metal, so it can be a little difficult to get a good seal when installing this product. It is a design element which keeps the cost down, but can make it more expensive to install. The ports really do have somewhat poor tolerances.
Our Grade: 8/10
This system is an entry-level limited filtration system. The Home Master HMF2SDGC Whole House 2-Stage Filter System does an excellent job with a municipal water supply, but struggles to keep up with the needs of a well. It does meet specific needs, however, and there are work-arounds for some of the tolerance issues.